Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Fools for Jesus. Or just plain foolish.

Been thinking a lot about the conflict I feel about being Christian. Or rather identifying myself as a Christian. I think it’s a trap. And I don’t like it. One time I was getting out of my car in this huge parking lot when this really awkward man with one of those catchy Christian shirts (I believe it was either “Subway” cleverly spelled “HisWay” or else the typical WWJD…) invaded my space and forced me to take not one but two ugly leather key chains that had bible verses on them. I actually felt embarrassed for him and took the two key chains out of pity. He told me that Jesus loved me and that I should have a nice day. Really? I mean seriously.

Christianity is affiliated with all things gross. Rich people. Gluttons. Republicans. Intolerance. Potlucks. Oh yeah crusaders too. And we wonder why people don’t buy the BS. Instead we pray for those “lost souls” who told us to F off when we offered them evangelical literature. Oh my. This is bad.

The worst, most conflicting part for me, is that I find myself struggling with the very same feelings of intolerance and disgust that I claim to abhor, toward those conservative Christians whom I should love. Yikes. Where is mercy and grace and love. I think Anne Lamott hits the nail on the head when she writes:

You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do”.


Has the progressive Christian become the new “Holier than thou”. I am too ashamed to answer.

2 comments:

  1. i'm curious, where do i fit into all this?

    just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I don't think I know.

    ReplyDelete